George Walbridge and Albert Aldinger joined forces in Detroit in 1916 and created a company that would grow to become one of the largest, privately held construction firms in America. The same core values instilled by our founders – safety, trust, integrity and accountability – continue to drive our business and our practices today.
“These men established a culture of skill, responsibility and integrity,” said Walbridge Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Rakolta, Jr. “I always like to say there’s something in the water. And what I mean by that is, there’s a history of this company that we all feel committed to. That’s our legacy. That’s why we honor them and maintain values they believed in.”
Our employees play a key role in expanding Walbridge’s business around the world and maintaining high standards. The company places great value in the contributions of Walbridge employees and states the following in its Corporate Vision statement:
“We will attract and retain the best talent by providing challenging opportunities, encouraging innovation and rewarding accomplishments.”
Walbridge continually develops its Learning Culture, which promotes and rewards lifelong learning and professional development. We apply abundant resources to enhance learning and collaboration. We have a full-time, world-class training staff, modern facilities, global communications technology, and access to a broad array of industry resources and best practices.
Our Training and Development programs include:
- Structured, customized individual and career development plans
- An online learning system featuring more than 350 professional development and leadership courses
- 90 industry-leading, instructor-led training programs on topics of Safety, Estimating, Engineering, Project Management, Lean, Quality, Sustainability and more
- Leadership development opportunities
- Professional licensing and certifications (Professional Engineer, LEED Professionals, AIA)
- Access to corporate membership resources, including the Construction Industry Institute, Associated General Contractors of America and several state affiliates, U.S. Green Building Council, Travelers’ Safety & Risk Control, American Concrete Institute, and others
- Employee Wellness Program including health awareness, financial planning and well-being resources
- Tuition reimbursement programs for academic degree programs
For 12 consecutive years, Walbridge has been recognized as one of Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For, according to the Michigan Business and Professional Association. In 2014, the company was named one of Michigan's 101 Best and Brightest Sustainable Companies for the second straight year.
Check out our current openings.